The Associate Teacher is an aspiring or new teacher who works with a specific advisory to ensure children receive the support and engagement necessary to excel as high-achieving scholars. S/he supports the Lead Teacher in all aspects of planning, instruction, and assessment. The Associate Teacher receives coaching and mentorship from a Lead Teacher and instructional leadership to be successful and grow professionally.
Reports to: Dean of Teacher Effectiveness
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in planning and implementing the daily program, which includes preparing needed materials and supplies
- Lead small-group instruction in partnership with the Lead Teacher
- Uphold the Achievement Prep standard for classroom management and instruction when the teacher is absent
- Work with Lead Teacher in maintaining a clean and orderly classroom
- Participate in program planning and communicate observations to others
- Communicate observations and/or concerns regarding scholars’ physical and psychological status to appropriate individuals
- Complete data collection in an appropriate, accurate, and timely manner
- Play an active role in community spaces (i.e. lunch supervision, hallway posts, dismissal facilitation, etc.)
- Implement Achievement Prep behavior system with fidelity
- Support the facilitation of school-wide testing and examinations
- Attend all daily morning staff meetings and applicable weekly grade-level meetings
- Participate in all staff professional development sessions
- Other duties as assigned
Maintenance of School and Organizational Culture
- Fully integrate into the school community and assume additional school-wide responsibilities to ensure a strong culture
- Collaborate with staff to advance the school’s mission and communicate that mission to its constituents
- Adhere to and enforce school-wide protocols and policies
- Actively pursue professional development opportunities, inside and outside of the school
- Assume extracurricular responsibilities, if desired
Above all, we are looking for individuals who:
- Possess an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development of all scholars.
- Commit to carrying out our mission on a daily basis.
- Embody and model our core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity and professionalism.
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of personal accountability for student growth and academic results
- Openness to give and receive feedback to facilitate the growth and achievement of both scholars and faculty
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience working with urban children
- At least one year of teaching experience preferred (teacher aide, teacher assistant, teaching fellow, etc.)
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Achievement Prep encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer fully committed to hiring a talented and diverse group of individuals. Achievement Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.