2023-2024 Instructional Coach
Math or Reading Instructional Coach
Who We Are
Achievement Prep is a college-preparatory public charter school network committed to historically underserved communities of Southeast Washington, DC. However, Achievement Prep isn’t just a school. We are a promise of progress. A promise to change the lives of our scholars, our community, and our future generations for the better. We promise to be the educational fuel that ignites a love for learning and knowledge. We believe that our teachers and faculty are the keys to closing the achievement gap. Not only do they encompass our vision but believe in it and live by it to help create the most impactful environment possible. Change begins now. Change begins here. Our mission is to prepare students to excel as high-achieving scholars and leaders in high school, college and beyond.
What You Will Do
Achievement Prep leaders are a part of our Oxygen Team. The Oxygen Team breathes life into our Platinum Teachers who are determined and driven by the belief that high quality instruction, joyful rigor, and attention to the whole child has the most immediate impact on our ability to achieve our mission. As the Instructional Coach, you will work school-wide to actively support and coach instructional staff in order to ensure that all scholars are able to meet or exceed their academic goals. You will help teachers navigate and assess scholar data and master the foundations of successful curriculum development and teaching.
Your Work Matters!
Every week, you will…Be the Mentor!
- Support a select group of individual platinum teachers in improving instructional practices, administering assessments, collecting and analyzing data, action planning, and reaching professional growth goals
- Work closely with the principal and director of curriculum and instruction to ensure that the core curricula are implemented with fidelity
- Regularly review teacher-created materials for quality; ensure standards alignment, rigor, differentiation, etc.
- Regularly observe instruction and offer immediate and actionable feedback regarding areas of strength and growth
- Track scholar and teacher progress to assess the effectiveness of coaching
Every week, you will…Be the Coach!
- Instruct teachers on curriculum development protocols and processes
- Support the planning and implementation of weekly professional development aligned with campus goals
- Collaborate with leadership to plan and lead Summer Institute and ongoing team meetings
- Develop and implement individual professional growth plans for assigned platinum teachers
- Seek professional development opportunities for individuals and entire team to support goals
- Prepare periodic team notes to provide ongoing communication with platinum teachers
Every week, you will…Grow!
- Improve your practice through regular formal and informal observations, weekly coaching sessions, weekly professional development, data-driven reflection, and self-learning.
- Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
To be considered, you will need…
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 3+ years of experience as a teacher of record in a K – 12 setting, preferably in historically underserved communities
- 1+ teacher leadership experience (grade level lead, department chair, mentor teacher, instructional coach etc.)
- Proven track record of success with student outcomes
You’ll be a great fit if…
- You understand the power of education and have seen that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others.
- You are committed to serving historically underserved and marginalized communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to transforming tomorrow today. .
- You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way.
- You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement.
- You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep.
- You are a results-driven educator who holds scholars to consistently high academic and behavior expectations because you know they can rise to the challenge and grow up to change the world.
- The grind of our mission ignites you to look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
You’re Worth It!
Our teachers are worth more than gold, they’re platinum!
- Development: Teachers, support, and leaders receive ongoing (weekly or bi-weekly) development from their leader(s):
- Formal and informal observations and feedback
- 1:1 meetings to discuss teaching practice, scholar data, curriculum, and goals
- Content team meetings
- Wednesday afternoon professional development tailored to teacher needs
- Compensation & Benefits: Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and benefits
- Our team is competitively compensated among public school teachers in Washington, D.C.
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
- It Pays to Stay: Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Achievement Prep encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer fully committed to hiring a talented and diverse group of individuals. Achievement Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.